Pages

Monday, February 21, 2022

The Dark Powers of Snow White

In the tale, I mean. Not that Snow White was a witch or anything like that.

“Would that I had a child as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as the wood of the window frame.”

It might be that you’ve never read those lines if you’ve only ever consumed Disney’s version of Snow White. It just occurred to me, in fact, that the beginning of that movie has the magic mirror describe the princess. Not her own mother.

I’m not sure why that was. Sure, the queen pricks her finger, which causes a few droplets of blood to fall onto the snow on the sill of her window. Blood might have been deemed too shocking for kids to see in an animation. And I get that. If that’s the case, however, I’d like to know why they felt it appropriate to animate the queen kicking the head off the skeleton of someone she clearly starved to death…

Let me get back on track here.

So the queen cuts herself. It’s not really specified, but I imagine she was transfixed by a sort of poetic beauty by the colors, and wished to have a daughter with these very passionate and poetic hues.

In the better known version of Grimm story, the queen had such a daughter and, unfortunately, died. Like I mentioned before, probably from natural causes.

The thing is, I’m a writer, and one who enjoys conspiracy theories at that. I don’t believe even half of them, but if we’re being completely honest, coming up with conspiracy theories is a lot like coming up with a story. You have certain scenarios, and you’re trying to connect them in the way that best makes sense.

So when you tell me that this queen made a fantastical wish, that this wish came true, and that she died shortly (or immediately) thence, my brain can’t help but go, “Coincidence?”

“Me thinks not,” I reply. Mostly because I can make it not be a coincidence. Especially since I’m writing my own enhanced version of Snow-white.

The Ancient Powers

I’ve already talked about the Ancient Powers a little bit in a past post. They’re basically the medium that allows magic to happen in this world. I’m not going to go too much into detail about them, because like I said, I don’t want to define them all that much. Not even for myself. This will allow me the freedom to integrate them as much as possible to this, and possible future enhancements of other fairy tales.

I don’t want them to be a “get out of jail free” card either. I don’t want them to be a cheap resource that I can use when I’ve written myself into a corner. Because of this, I do need to lay down some rules, conventions, or loose guidelines that I can behold myself to. If I do this, I’ll make it hard for myself to abuse this aspect of the world I created.

So let me tell you a little bit about these Ancient Powers.

The Workings of Mystic Forces

“Be careful what you wish for. It might just come true.”

I have a thing for sayings. It amazes me how they impart wisdom and convey a warning in so few words. Even the sayings that are wrong or badly thought out are useful. You just have to think about them, determine why they might be mistaken, and you’re all the wiser for it.

I also think that, as people, we’re full of folly, and have a need for sayings to remind us. That way, we can fight against that folly.

Which made me think, “Why don’t I just embody sayings in this world?”

Thus were the Ancient Powers born.

Anyone can beseech the Powers. People with lore can do it whenever they want. People without lore, however, can only do it when they wish or desire something with true intensity.

Of course, in this world, there are elfs, dwarfs, witches, trolls, ogres, etc, etc, etc. All these beings (or The Others as people call them) know how to entreat the Ancient Powers. Humans can learn, which is where sorcerers and sorceresses come from. All of the beings mentioned previously know that a price is always to be paid when beseeching a favor from the Ancient Powers.

There are those, however, that wish intensely for something, and commit the error of saying it outloud. Those people will have their wishes granted, but the Powers will have their payment.

You might be wondering what kind of currency the Ancient Powers use.

It can be the time you devote to something, or the emotions caused by your feelings. If you’re sad, for example, and bawl, the intensity of that emotion is enough payment for the Powers. The burning of a loaf of bread you were going to eat is good for them too. In the end, they demand sacrifice.

Of course, the moment someone says sacrifice, some people’s thoughts turn dark. And indeed, the Powers are willing to take life and blood sacrifices as well. This dark aspect of the Powers is what originated the cult of the Queen, why the cult is gaining ground, and why the Powers are now seen as evil by most people during Snow-white’s time.

Or at least, that’s what the cult wants the people to believe.

Told you I like conspiracies.

Finally, after dancing around it for a couple of posts, you now know why Snow’s mother dies in my enhanced version of the tale: She wished for a curious daughter too intensely, and outloud. The Powers heard her, and since the queen had not made a sacrifice to them, they took her life.

Don’t worry. Despite what the adherents of the Queen would tell you, these powers aren’t actually dark. They’re just fair. Some people just think that fair is mean.

Since they’re fair, however, they didn’t just make Snow’s appearance odd in exchange for the life of her mother. They also gave her a blessing. It was this blessing that protected her from the huntsman when he tried to kill her, and it’s the reason the animals in the forest didn’t harm her when she fled into the woods.

I’ll keep my lips shut about this one, though. I prefer you find out about it when you read the actual story.

Until then, fellow, I hope the runes fall in your favor.

And remember: Whisper your wishes.

For Your Consideration
Should you like to be notified of when I update this blog, send me an email to longtainjohn@gmail.com. I’ll be glad to add you to my newsletter. If you’d like to see if I can convince you even further to join my newsletter, click right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Pulps Made Me Do It

It's been three days now since an idea snuck into my mind, and I won't leave. No matter how much time I just let it sit there, glanc...